Belianska Kopa, Slovakia
Prominence: 54 m, 177 ft
Elevation: 1835 meters, 6020 feet
True Isolation: 0.64 km, 0.4 mi
|Latitude/Longitude (WGS84)||49° 13' 38'' N, 20° 13' 26'' E|
49.227124, 20.223804 (Dec Deg)
443486 E 5452994 N, Zone 34 (UTM)
Search Engines - search the web for "Belianska Kopa":
Microsoft Bing Search
Other Web Sites
Belianska Kopa / B├⌐lai-domb at SummitPost.org
Total successful ascents logged by registered Peakbagger.com users: 4
Show all viewable ascents/attempts (Total: 4)
|Nearby Peak Searches:|
Radius Search - Nearest Peaks to Belianska Kopa
Elevation Ladder from Belianska Kopa
Prominence Ladder from Belianska Kopa
|Topographic isolation: 550 m|
Nearest higher peak: Hlúpy , 2061 m
Belianska Kopa/Bélai-domb is a hill with 1835 meter elevation in the High Tatras. There are sources indicating its elevation as 1832 m, too. This hill has several names in the 4 languages used in the High Tatras:
- Slovakian: Belianska Kopa, Belanská kopa, Kopa
- Hungarian: Bélai-domb, Durándi-hegy, Kopa-hegy, Kúp, Dudás, Rézakna-hegy, Rézbányamenti hegy, Bélai lökésetske
- German: Schäferberg, Schewerberg, Schefferberg, Turlsberg
- Polish: Bielska Kopa, Twarozna, Kopa w Koperszadach, Kopa.
It is not among the highest peaks of the High Tatras. Nevertheless it is in a special position: just at the joining point of the High Tatras and Belianske Tatry/Bélai-Havasok. Topographically this hill belongs to the High Tatras, because the saddle (Predné Kopské Sedlo/Elülso-Kopa-hágó) separating it from the rest of the High Tatras is in an 1778 meter altitude, while the saddle separating it from Belianske Tatry/Bélai-Havasok is in a little bit lower elevation: 1750 meter. This latter saddle is called Kopské sedlo/Kopa-hágó.
From other aspects this hill belongs to Belianske Tatry/Bélai-Havasok. While the High Tatras are mainly built of granite, the mass of Belianske Tatry/Bélai-Havasok is built of white limestone. And the main building material of Belianska Kopa/Bélai-domb is white limestone, too. The variety of the stones of this hill is peculiar at the saddle Predné Kopské Sedlo/Elülso-Kopa-hágó joining it to the High Tatras. There the usual white limestone is mixed with light brown calcareous sinter and pink sandstone. The vegetation is extraordinary rich here. The meadows has a large variety of colourful flowers. Though the hill and its environment was intensively used as a grazing ground, since the foundation of the Tatras National Park (TANAP) the area is seriously protected, and the the damage caused by the earlier intensive grazing cannot be seen any more. Besides the meadows the other areas of the hill are covered by mountain pine (Pinus mugo) "forests".
North to Belianska Kopa/Bélai-domb you can see the valley called Predné Med’odoly/Elülso-Rézaknák völgye, with the stream Napájadlovy potok/Itató-patak in it. The valley got its name from the copper mines above it, on the hill Belianska Kopa/Bélai-domb and at the saddle Kopské sedlo/Kopa-hágó. In some Polish resources the valley was called Koperszady Wegerskie (meaning Hungarian Copper Mine).
South to the hill there is the valley Dolina Bielich plies/Fehér-tavi-völgy with the stream Biela Voda/Fehér-patak. The stream got its name from the white stones along it and about the white foam of the stream.
There are a few ponds and lakes in this valley at the foot of Belianska Kopa/Bélai-domb. A group of ponds has the collective name Malé Biela plesá. A small lake having its own name is called Trojuholníkové pleso or Trojrohé pleso in Slovakian – and Háromszög-tó (1620 m) in Hungarian. Other variations of its name: Triangl, Triangel, Triangel-tó from the 19th century. It also had the name Déli Fehér-tó in Hungarian sources.
The biggest lake is called Vel’ké Biele Pleso/Nagy-Fehér-tó (1615 m). Its length is 195 meter. Despite its name means „white” lake, its colour is dark due to the sedimented mud in it. In old Hungarian sources its also called Északi Fehér-tó, and in historic Latin sources it’s called Album stagnum. Jr. György Buchholtz describes a tour with his students to this lake in 1724. After WW I this area was claimed by Poland, and in order to protect the area, in 1922 a military building was built here to protect the area. In 1924 this building was converted into a tourist hut. This hut was destoyed in 1942 because another hut was built in the nearby. This second hut took fire in 1974, and it is not in use since then.
This page has been served 963 times since 2004-11-01.