Fort Napoleon, originally named Fort Louis was built on a bluff on Terre-de-Haut, one of the archipelago of islands just south of Guadeloupe. It was destroyed by the British in 1809. Rebuilt in 1867, it was named after Napoleon III. It never saw use in battle but was used as a penitentiary. Currently it houses a museum about Isles des Saintes.