Ascent of Uyluk Tepe on 2018-07-10
|Date:||Tuesday, July 10, 2018|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Elevation:||9895 ft / 3015 m|
Ascent Trip ReportClockwise from NE ie following Mclellan descent route. YDS1&2.
Great scenery, set to be best ultra in western Turkey.
Used hand level at summit to check surrounding summits; as expected all are much lower.
1. Much better to start at meadow, as crossing ridge adds significant effort
2. Route is mostly uncairned. Good trail to 2500m.
3. Fork at 2500m (N36.55798° E29.58275°) isn't easy to spot. Look for cairn on large boulder. Path once found is well cairned for short stretch only
4. Trail leads to small lake: climb out to L and follow spur to small col, intermittent trail
5. Scree ascent to first summit (N36.54384° E29.57615°), then minor descent and easily up to shapely false summit, then easily to cairned main summit of Uyluk Tepe
3h15 up, 30mins at summit, 1h55 down. Fairly slow ascent due to pm heat and having climbed Kizlar that morning. Tough day but leaves us nicely set up for rest of trip. Flock of snow finches early in walk.
Down into town for food: good thing they eat late in Turkey.
Next to Babadag, soon finding place to sleep in car
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||2808 ft / 855 m|
| Route Conditions:||Unmaintained Trail, Open Country|
| Gain on way in:||2808 ft / 855 m|
| Distance:||6.8 mi / 11 km|
| Start Trailhead:||7087 ft / 2160 m|
This page has been served 61 times since 2005-01-15.