Ascent of Tick Ridge on 2018-03-01
|Others in Party:||supported by Rose.|
----Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Thursday, March 1, 2018|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||1120 ft / 341 m|
Ascent Trip ReportAn easy visit to 13 areas - allow 3 hours.
TEAM LOSTRACCO PAINTS ANOTHER STATE "GREEN", THIS TIME TENNESSEE.
Today, our 60th day of our "Winter Trip 2018", was our last day COHPing TN - we carried our green gallon of paint north to KY.
Jackson County (TICK RIDGE) is an easy county to do in spite of its 13 areas. Once again Ken Oeser's TR made things easy for us. We visited all of the areas, numbered in this TR in-accordance with PB.
We found our way to the Jackson/Overton County Line on Hwy 85 and approached the areas from the east. I provide my overview in point form. One must read Ken.
1) We agree with Ken that the highest Area at the east end is across the road from AREA 1 ("USC&G ANTIOCH, 1949" BM, which is located 7 yds west of the Witness Post). We went to the brick house (MB#4760) and located the HP in the front lawn at GPS 36.39624,-85.50081 (I am numbering this new AREA 1S).
We concluded that AREAS 3, 11, 1(at the BM), 10, 4, 13 & 2) are not candidates and need not be visited, in fact should be removed from the list.
2) AREA 5 is very close to the new AREA 1S and can't be ruled out. Abt 250 yds west of the BM on Hwy 85 is the driveway on the left (MB#4660), which climbs to the house with the HP - Millie and Jeffrey Esterline. Millie was very nice allowed me to walk around, later came out and led me to the garage to show me a BM that the original owners apparently pulled out and left it with the house. She couldn't find it, "My husband will know, give me your email address and I'll mail you a picture".
She understands that the highest point of the county is at Area 1S. Vegetation blocked my eye-sight for a direct eye-level check, but my rough check told me to agree with Millie.
3) AREA 6 is .25 miles up Dillon Lane (200yds west of MB#4660) on the left side at a peaked summit. There are 2 house here, one is on the summit to one side of the HP. We also found no one home. This whole area is more like an unkept Auto Salvage Site with vehicles/parts/tires/junk all over the place. There is no sight-line back to the other Areas so it can't be ruled out.
4) AREAS 8, 9 & 12 off of Old Antioch Road (1 mile west of Dillon Lane). We parked at the farm track on the north side of the road that climbs to Area 9. We met Randy here, was on his way up this track to deliver feed to his animals. He has animals on both side of the road and allowed me to access the area. He said that he's been living here for 54 years and the highest point of the county is at AREA 1S.
My field check told me that AREA 9 is the highest of these 3 Areas.
5) AREA 7 . We approached this one from the south side Cedar Spring Lane (which heads north from Hwy 85, less than a mile west of Old Antioch Road). We drove north .4 miles and parked at a right bend, The HP is 150 yds over a gate (posted). I can't rule this one out as I had no-sight-line to the others to the north.
IMO I believe there are 5 candidate high point areas (1S, 5, 6, 9 and 7), however if I had to pick one it would be AREA 1S.
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD, WON'T YOU COME ON IN.
NINETY-FIVE STANZAS, DOES THE SIXTEENTH POEM MAKE.
STEP INTO YOUR TRAIL, LEAVE YOUR CARES BEHIND.
EMBRACE YOU NEW WORLD, BUILT WITH YOU IN MIND." ....... team lostracco completes the TN COHPs.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||420 ft / 127 m|
| Extra Gain:||200 ft / 60 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||1 mi / 1.6 km|
| Route:||visit to 13 areas|
| Trailhead:||hwy 85 1100 ft / 335 m|
This page has been served 203 times since 2005-01-15.