Ascent of Bunker Hill on 2014-09-14

Climber: Tom Gathright

Other People:Solo Ascent
Date:Sunday, September 14, 2014
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
    Motorized Transport to Trailhead:Car
Peak:Bunker Hill
    Elevation:11473 ft / 3496 m

Ascent Trip Report

After the failed attempt of Currant Mountain, I planned to do a double centered around Bunker Hill. All the write ups said it was a walk up hike. The trip started out pretty much normal, I was packed and on the road around 1:00 PM with Mira and Lola. The drive was a long one and the drive up 376 is a long straight road that drones on and on.

The drive through Kingston and up the dirt road to the campground was okay. I parked in a nice wide area with a large stream flowing nearby. After letting the dogs run for a while, drink and wade in the stream we settled in for the night. I awoke around 6:30 AM and saw it was getting light.

After eating breakfast I drove up to Sawmill Canyon. I departed the truck at 7:10 AM. The trail up the road, which eventually turned into a wash, was good and not too steep. That soon changed. I followed sheep and cattle trails along the wash until the wash ended and the trail faded away. From that point on to the saddle it was a bushwhacking hike through knee high scrub and sage. At one point I heard sheep and as I looked over the ridge, what little I could see, I was close to the flock so I veered away to keep away from the sheep dogs.

It took me two hours to reach a small saddle between Bunker Hill and Toiyabe 11,068. From the saddle the hike up to Bunker Hill is very steep. The talus wasn’t too bad and I could find decent footing. However, from the saddle to the top of the talus took me ½ an hour, then it was another 15 minutes to the summit.

I located the register and signed it; it was a new pad with only three entries: One from July, one from August and mine in September. The hike was more difficult than I thought, I was tired and I knew I wouldn’t be going for a double so I started my descent.

I made good time and was back at the truck at 12:45 PM. As we drove out we came across some sheep and sheep dogs, Great Pyrenees, along the road. There were five or six dogs and five of them pretty much attacked my truck. One would not want to cross their path up in the mountains. These dogs meant serious business and I’m sure they would have done harm to Mira or Lola. I made the long drive home and arrived at 6:45 PM. Tired and sore, but glad I reached the summit

Summary Total Data
    Route Conditions:
Road Hike, Unmaintained Trail, Open Country

This page has been served 261 times since 2005-01-15.

Copyright © 1987-2022 by All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service