Ascent of North Schell Peak on 2014-08-16

Climber: Tom Gathright

Other People:Solo Ascent
Date:Saturday, August 16, 2014
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
    Motorized Transport to Trailhead:Car
Peak:North Schell Peak
    Elevation:11883 ft / 3621 m

Ascent Trip Report

I packed the truck and I left the house with both dogs at 1:15 PM. We were at the Timber Creek campground around 5:30 PM (I really don’t recall the exact time). I slept in the front seat of the truck and the dogs slept in the back seat.

The next morning I was walking toward the TH at 6:00 AM. At the TH there are two paths the one to the left, which is where the gravel roads transitions into the foot path is the trail to North Schell Peak. The trail on the right is the trail we returned on from the south end of the valley.

I hiked past several cows (the entire area is open range) and the trail makes a long sweeping right turn until what appears to be the summit is in view. I hiked up, passing through mixed talus, scree and high tundra vegetation. What looked like the summit was just a rounded false summit and once I was there I could see the true summit. It was going to be another 400-500 feet of climbing. That part of the climb was steep, but easier than through the scree and talus and we reached the summit at 8:10 AM. I signed the register and took a few pictures.

I departed the summit to follow the long ridge as it circled around to the south. Along the way I stopped on a couple minor summits. As I started down Schell Creek Peak 3595, Mira really started to slow down. I decided that when we reached the lowest saddle at the south east side of the ridge circle I would go down. I planned to follow the scree to where I saw vegetation, which would make the footing better. This worked well for me and Lola, but Mira just cannot handle the loose scree. She started lagging farther behind, so I would wait several minutes until she made it closer. She ended up stopping all together and I had to climb back up the scree to get her. I sat with her for 15-20 minutes and I could tell that this hike had been too much. I picker her up carried her all the way down out of the scree until we reached the valley.

The rest of the hike was at Mira's pace and when we reached a stream I waited until she was done soaking. I followed the creek down to the TH and the dogs were going in and out of the water along the way.

We made it back to the truck at 1:45 PM. I decided we would forego a second day of hiking and drove home. We were home at 7:00 PM.

Summary Total Data
    Route Conditions:
Maintained Trail, Open Country

This page has been served 71 times since 2005-01-15.

Copyright © 1987-2019 by All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service