Ascent of Jobs Peak on 2017-08-29
|Others in Party:||Henry (dog)|
|Date:||Tuesday, August 29, 2017|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Elevation:||10633 ft / 3240 m|
Ascent Trip ReportUnexpected day off, so Henry and I headed out to do some Oguls. Plan was to climb Job's peak, and then possibly do the rest of the traverse over to Ob's sister and Free if time/weather cooperated. I had already climbed Freel in the winter, but time, energy and steep snow and ice turned us around from doing the traverse. We got a late start which doomed our ability to do the full traverse. FS road 051 was in much poorer shape than when I was last here only about 9months ago, I guess the wet winter took its toll. We parked in Horse meadow, expecting to come down the TRT from Free, and started hiking up FS 051 to the direct trail up to Jobs. Th climb was pleasant, and took us no time at all. When we reached the saddle, we could see that the intermittent rain clouds were not so intermittent south and east of us (the direction the wind was blowing), and it was raining on the other side of the peaks. We did a quick ascent of Job's, signed the register and came back down to the saddle. Took a long hard look at the developing weather, and decided not to do the climb over to Job's sister>. The weather looked too threatening, and I didn't want us to get stuck on the ridge between JOb's Sister and Freel in a rain and/or thunderstorm. So we turned back the way we came. Not sure if I made the right decision or not, as we didn't see any significant rain develop on the ridge the whole hike back to car. I guess better safe than sorry? Oh well, will back another day to knock off Job's sister.
|Summary Total Data|
| Route Conditions:||Maintained Trail|
This page has been served 291 times since 2005-01-15.