Ascent of Monte San Salvatore in 2005
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
|Peak:||Monte San Salvatore|
| Elevation:||2992 ft / 911 m|
Ascent Trip ReportThis mountain can be climbed in about 50 minutes from my home (walking fast uphill) so I have climbed it many times (over 100). For a mountain almost in the city of Lugano there are less ways to climb it than might be expected, but the following possibilities certainly exist (all recommended):
1) Standard way up the North flank from Paradiso or Pazzallo (it's worth starting from Paradiso to get the full climb). Nice path through woods with great views, but a steep climb. There is a variant near the top (blue marked path) which is nice.
2) Standard way up the South side from Ciona. This is a nice path too, not so steep. Combining these two is nice and there are ways to go back to Pazzallo almost entirely off the road (paths marked on Swiss map, but not all easy to find)
3) The via ferrata. Supposedly the hardest in Switzerland according to one guidebook. As a via ferrata it is brutally steep and very exposed, but the equipment is good and the position spectacular. You definitely need a head for heights and strong arms.
4) Variant of 2) starting from Carabbia. Path is not easy to find. Passes through some nice woods.
5) Start from Melide to got to Carona, then Ciona and then follow 2).
6) Not a path but my son and I found a nice way starting from Pazzallo and going up the sort of North North West Spur with the funicular on your left. Leads straight to the top.
7) There is a rock climb on the East Face which is apparently hardly ever one (and I have not).
This page has been served 60 times since 2005-01-15.