Ascent of Mount Crescent on 2017-01-08
|Date:||Sunday, January 8, 2017|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Location:||USA-New Hampshire|
| Elevation:||3251 ft / 990 m|
Ascent Trip ReportFrom the Randolph Community Forest trailhead at the end of Randolph Hill Road, I took the Peek Path and Mt. Crescent Trail up Mt. Crescent. Then I followed the Crescent Ridge Trail over Mt. Randolph, and then took the Four Soldiers Path, Pasture Path, and Grassy Lane back to Randolph Hill Road. From there, I walked the road back to my starting trailhead. About 7.5 miles total.
* The Randolph Mountain Club has performed significant trailwork, and my five-year-old White Mountains trail map is now out of date for this area. The Peek Path was built a few years ago, and it runs from the trailhead kiosk at the end of Randolph Hill Road, crosses the Mt. Crescent Trail, and ends at the Cook Path. I followed it from the kiosk to the Mt. Crescent Trail.
* There are some good views high up on Mt. Crescent. I went off-trail a short distance to a few different spots that might be the true summit, following fresh tracks in the snow.
* I followed the Crescent Ridge southbound from Mt. Crescent, going over the ridge of Mt. Randolph. I went off-trail to the true summit of Randolph.
* I enjoyed the descent on the Four Soldiers Path, followed by a flat walk on the Pasture Path. I followed the Pasture Path to High Acres Road (just to complete that segment of the trail), then backtracked and went north on Grassy Lane back to Randolph Hill Road, which I followed back to my starting trailhead.
* There were fresh tracks leading up Mt. Crescent, and part of the way toward Mt. Randolph. I had to break trail through deep snow between the north and south Randolph summits. There was an older, mostly snow-filled snowshoe track from the Randolph south summit, continuing down the Four Soldiers and Pasture Paths.
* On a personal note, Mt. Crescent was the highest trailed peak in NH that I hadn't hiked yet. Now that distinction is passed on to Mt. Cardigan, which I'll have to get to soon!
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||1302 ft / 396 m|
| Route Conditions:||Maintained Trail, Snow on Ground|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles, Snowshoes|
| Weather:||Cold, Breezy, Clear|
| Gain on way in:||1302 ft / 396 m|
| Route:||Peek Path, Mt. Crescent Trail|
| Start Trailhead:||Community Forest TH, End of Randolph Hill Rd 1949 ft / 594 m|
|Ascent Part of Trip: Crescent Jan 2017|
Complete Trip Sequence:
Total Trip Gain: 1909 ft / 582 m
This page has been served 182 times since 2005-01-15.