Ascent of Stratford Hill on 2016-08-11
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Thursday, August 11, 2016|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||4971 ft / 1515 m|
Ascent Trip ReportTrue this is an easy county HP but I was surprised that it was behind barb wire fences. I misinterpreted the USGS to think there would be a jeep trail out of the intersection of Stratford Hill Road and Cormier Road. Summary of trip is as follows:
1) I came from the south out of the town of Columbus on interstate 94 then headed east using Duckcreek Road over to Hillcrest then down south to Stratford Hill Road instead of the northerm approach that travels through all of the 90 degree turns you get on Cormier Road. I did exit the northern route on my way back to Billings and I found the route from the south far more interesting landscape scenery.
2) All of the gravel roads were in great shape and you could drive 40 mph and cover the distance quick
3) Cows were in the pastures but not on the "Crow Indian Reservation" land to the east; so I slipped between the barb wire fences and followed the fence line in tall grass to avoid any cattle lands.
4) I did have to cross the barb wire fence into the pasture at the end of the hike to get on the property where the BM and grave site are but the fence is lower near where the plateau falls off and I was able to easily step over there and there were no cattle in that section of the pasture.
5) the best views were off the plateau to the south
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||55 ft / 16 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||1.2 mi / 1.9 km|
| Route:||along fence line|
| Trailhead:||junction of stratford hill road and Cormier Road 4916 ft / 1498 m|
| Quality:||3 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Open Country|
| Weather:||Pleasant, Calm, Clear|
This page has been served 298 times since 2005-01-15.