Ascent of Gu Achi Peak on 2016-01-21
|Others in Party:||Josef Nuernberger -- Trip Report or GPS Track|
----Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Thursday, January 21, 2016|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||4x4 Vehicle|
|Peak:||Gu Achi Peak|
| Elevation:||4556 ft / 1388 m|
Ascent Trip ReportDriving Directions:
1. Zero your odometer at the junction of AZ 86 and Indian Road 35.
2. Head north on IR 35 towards Sil Nakya.
3. Pass through Schuchk. Just north of here continue straight on IR 34 towards Sil Nakya.
4. At about 19 miles the pavement ends just short of Sil Nakya.
5. At 19.4 miles the road curves to the left and enters Sil Nakya. Continue through Sil Nakya to the right between some buildings. Alternately, at the curve leaving into Sil Nakya you can take the fork to the right passing around Sil Nakya. In either case, continue west on IR 34.
6. At 20.4 miles turn Right and head North. Gu Achi Peak will soon come into view.
7. The road will eventually fork, both roads heading approximately North. We took the right fork, which remerged with the other fork later.
8. At 26.2 miles arrive at a T junction with an East-West road. Turn Right and head East.
9. At 26.6 miles Turn Left and head North towards Gu Achi Peak. This road is rutted in spots and becomes rockier as you continue North.
10. At 30.0 miles arrive at a junction at about 2400'. We parked and started the climb here.
We hiked cross country towards Gu Achi Peak to the base of the ridge rising from left to right towards the summit. The footing was generally good on this ridge. The upper portion of this ridge becomes rockier and we encountered class 2-3 rock bands. Near the top the ridge turns slightly left and leads to the summit.
The summit provides open views in all directions. We found two witness marks, but could not find the benchmark. A glass jar containing a few pieces of paper served as the summit registry on our visit.
This page has been served 628 times since 2005-01-15.