Ascent of Shade Mountain-Snyder County High Point on 2015-12-31
|Others in Party:||"Trailhead Tess"|
|Date:||Thursday, December 31, 2015|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
|Peak:||Shade Mountain-Snyder County High Point|
| Elevation:||2180 ft / 664 m|
Ascent Trip ReportThe following ascent was completed by "Highpoint Hitz" and "Trailmap Tess".
Area #1 and #2: (Both areas are close to each other off of the same trail.)
1. Find Shade Mountain Road. If going North on 104, this will be a left turn onto Shade Mountain Road for about 13 miles. If going North on 235, this will be a right turn onto Shade Mountain Road for about 1.4 miles. We approached from 104, which was o.k., but this meant more miles on the gravel Shade Mountain Road for our car.
2. Park at Diamond Trail. If approaching from 235, this will be at 1.4 miles on the left.
3. Hike Diamond Trail until an intersection and turn right.
4. Shortly after turning right, there will be a trail going off to the left. Continue to straight.
5. Shortly after continuing straight, the second area will be off to the left of the trail. We stomped around until we were satisfied that we had found the high ground.
6. Get back on the trail and continue until the trail seems to crest. Pay attention to the terrain on the right to see when it seems to have crested.
7. We stomped around to the right of the trail until we were satisfied we had walked over the high point. There are not many rocks in the area, so when we found four rocks in a pile, we thought that it might be someone's cairn. We added some more rocks and put a small branch wedged in the middle of the cairn.
Mount Pisgah Altar is nearby and has a wonderful view. The address on Google Maps is 670 Mount Pisgah Altar Rd, Beaver Springs, PA 17812. If approaching from 235, it is the higher quality, darker road that ascends on the left.
Varner Vista also provides an impressive view. You can find this to the right of Shade Mountain Road if you are approaching from 235.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||154 ft / 46 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||1.3 mi / 2.1 km|
| Trailhead:||2026 ft / 617 m|
| Quality:||3 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Maintained Trail, Bushwhack|
This page has been served 727 times since 2005-01-15.