Ascent of Boundary Peak on 2013-08-21

Climber: Tim Hankins

Date:Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Ascent Type:Successful Summit Attained
    Motorized Transport to Trailhead:Hi-Clearance Vehicle
Peak:Boundary Peak
    Elevation:13140 ft / 4005 m

Ascent Trip Report

Trip kicked my ass from the saddle up. Verticals with high altitude destroy me. Rocks and scree don't help either. I had typed a lengthy report but it didn't save.

Spent the night at the parking lot before the trailhead. Arrived there in a 2WD high clearance truck, probably wouldn't have been able to drive to trailhead even if the trail was dry.
There were 3 other groups there but one was heading out. A family of 6 from the UK and a older couple from southern AZ would join me to the summit.

We left the next morning around 6 under overcast skies. I took off the rain gear by the time I arrived at the trailhead, was sweating too much already and it wasn't barely sprinkling. From here to the saddle was fairly easy, walking a ridge for most of it. Encountered a herd of wild horses near the saddle.

The rest of the hike from here would suck the wind out of me. Mostly a rock/scree vertical ascent from here to the peak including some scrambling through a boulder field near the peak. I was the last one to arrive to the peak as I needed many pit stops. Drinking a few beers the night before certainly didn't help. Afternoon storms started to develop so we only stayed at the peak for about 10-15 minutes.

I took my time down and started feeling better as I descended. Instead of feeling nauseous, I began wearing down physically from being tired. Only slept roughly 4 hours the night before. By the time I reached the saddle, weather began to get worse as thunder and lightning began in the area but so far it wasn't raining. While on the ridge between the saddle and trailhead, I found myself in the middle of a hailstorm that lasted about 8-10 minutes. With no trees nearby, I continued walking while taking the punishment like a champ. Hail HURTS! After that stopped, it was about another hour before I was back at my truck.

The other groups had already beaten me back. There was still rain in the area and I didn't want to stay here any longer so after a quick clean up, we headed out. Total hike for me was about 8.5 hours, 5 up, 3.5 down. Drove to Bishop and spent the night there at a hotel before heading West in the morning. I'm glad there were others on the trail with me, would've been eerie up there by myself and their encouragement pushed me to continue.
Summary Total Data
    Quality:8 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)
    Route Conditions:
Maintained Trail, Scramble
    Gear Used:
Ski Poles
    Weather:Cool, Breezy, Partly Cloudy

This page has been served 1476 times since 2005-01-15.

Copyright © 1987-2020 by All Rights Reserved. Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page Terms of Service