Ascent of Balsam Beartown Mountain on 2021-11-20
|Date:||Saturday, November 20, 2021|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
|Peak:||Balsam Beartown Mountain|
| Elevation:||4710 ft / 1435 m|
Ascent Trip Report- 727 has pavement up to 3240, the last half mile to Walker Gap is passable by any car if dry.
- followed AT to 1st USFS road switch, did not find leaf-buried AT on ascent, followed the forest road till the south of Chestnut Knob, XC to the shelter.
- followed a faint trail behind the privy, had to imagine a path between NF signs (at left) and private posted (at right), till a fence shows up at right.
- followed the fence till a right-angle point (my first ever pb waypoint). I kept my original direction till I found I was heading too much NW, turned back to go with the fence, followed the ridge to get down to Heninger Gap.
- met a hunter near the hut and a white truck, followed the farm/forest road till it getting very faint.
- aimed to a minor saddle to reach another farm/forest road, met another hunter coming from the private property behind the red gate.
- climbed South over Balsam Beartown, then down to the upstream of Roaring Fork.
- after crossed the creek, followed a broad but steep gully to reach SE ridge, met the third hunter of the day.
- followed the moderate SE ridge to higher ground and found a RM on a big flat rock before the summit.
- did not find the main BM, carefully locate the BM location, placed a flat rock on a tree with Y-shape branches.
- after re-tracing back to Heninger Gap, decided to followed a farm road at NE side of Chestnut Knob.
- moments after I left the main farm road to take a grass-covered spur toward Chestnut Ridge, I saw a white truck coming up.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||3380 ft / 1029 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||3380 ft / 1029 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||9.3 mi / 15 km|
| Quality:||6 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Road Hike, Maintained Trail, Unmaintained Trail, Open Country, Bushwhack, Stream Ford, Mud/Swamp, Snow on Ground|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Cold, Calm, Overcast|
| Gain on way in:||2308 ft / 703 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 1230 ft / 375 m; Extra: 1078 ft / 328m|
| Loss on way in:||1078 ft / 328 m|
| Distance:||4.3 mi / 6.9 km|
| Route:||SE ridge|
| Start Trailhead:||Walker Gap 3480 ft / 1060 m|
| Time:||2 Hours 50 Minutes|
| Loss on way out:||2302 ft / 701 m|
| Loss Breakdown:||Net: 1230 ft / 375 m; Extra: 1072 ft / 326m|
| Gain on way out:||1072 ft / 326 m|
| Distance:||5 mi / 8 km|
| Route:||SE ridge|
| End Trailhead:||Walker Gap 3480 ft / 1060 m|
| Time:||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
|GPS Data for Ascent/Trip|
GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks: climbed and unclimbed by Powen Ru
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.
Download this GPS track as a GPX file
This page has been served 85 times since 2005-01-15.