Ascent of High Top on 2021-01-09
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Saturday, January 9, 2021|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Location:||USA-Virginia/West Virginia|
| Elevation:||3640 ft / 1109 m|
Ascent Trip Report- Parked at about 1 mile south to Pocahontas CG.
- followed the gated but "foot travel welcome" forest road (on CalTopo or USFS Topo) to reach a ridge, requiring minor bushwhack.
- dropped down / crossed Widemouth Run, then followed the ridge trail up.
- passed Pub55, followed the summit trail to reach a summer home area, saw some snow.
- found a upended tree appearing to be the high point, then a RM in front an office house.
- followed "Kerri Lane" down to Pub55 and found a sign saying the summit area is private area restricted only to the owners and guests. I saw none today.
- descent via Widemouth Run to get back to the forest road, some sections with heavy brier patches.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||1359 ft / 414 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||1359 ft / 413 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||5.5 mi / 8.9 km|
| Quality:||3 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Road Hike, Unmaintained Trail, Bushwhack, Stream Ford, Snow on Ground|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Pleasant, Calm, Clear|
| Gain on way in:||1237 ft / 377 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 1120 ft / 341 m; Extra: 117 ft / 35m|
| Loss on way in:||117 ft / 35 m|
| Distance:||2.6 mi / 4.2 km|
| Route:||NW ridge trail, then NE ridge|
| Start Trailhead:||Rt. 92 2520 ft / 768 m|
| Time:||1 Hours 29 Minutes|
| Loss on way out:||1242 ft / 378 m|
| Loss Breakdown:||Net: 1120 ft / 341 m; Extra: 122 ft / 37m|
| Gain on way out:||122 ft / 37 m|
| Distance:||2.9 mi / 4.7 km|
| Route:||SW ridge, then Widemouth Run|
| End Trailhead:||Rt. 92 2520 ft / 768 m|
| Time:||1 Hours 26 Minutes|
|GPS Data for Ascent/Trip|
GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks: climbed and unclimbed by Powen Ru
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.
Download this GPS track as a GPX file
This page has been served 26 times since 2005-01-15.