Ascent of Rocky Mountain on 2020-11-27
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Friday, November 27, 2020|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||4072 ft / 1241 m|
Ascent Trip Report- parked at Salt Log Gap, a pullout south off VA-634 (Alhambra Rd), happening to be at AT SB TH
- FR-1176, well graveled, looks drive-able even with a low clearance car, but I decided to hike this P2k anyway.
- Left the road at 3840, beelined my way to the summit infested by many towers, very light bushwhacking effort.
- Went through a crevice right under mark 4072. Found a plague in memory of a deceased soul at the other side.
- There is a split rock at pb point, however 4072 mark looks higher, more deserving, requiring easy class 2 move to reach the top.
- Followed the rocky firebreak down to FR-1127, very briery along the break, not good for ascent, I followed the edge at east side, going with least resistance.
- Followed FR-246 a little, the XC to reach AT and followed it to reach AT TH.
- descent stats include The Cardinal and Cole Mountain.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||3976 ft / 1211 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||3976 ft / 1211 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||16.7 mi / 26.9 km|
| Grade/Class:||Class 1-2|
| Quality:||2 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Road Hike, Open Country, Bushwhack, Scramble|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Pleasant, Calm|
| Gain on way in:||962 ft / 293 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 872 ft / 266 m; Extra: 90 ft / 27m|
| Loss on way in:||90 ft / 27 m|
| Distance:||1.7 mi / 2.7 km|
| Route:||E ridge|
| Start Trailhead:||Salt Log Gap 3200 ft / 975 m|
| Time:||53 Minutes|
| Loss on way out:||3886 ft / 1184 m|
| Loss Breakdown:||Net: 872 ft / 266 m; Extra: 3014 ft / 918m|
| Gain on way out:||3014 ft / 918 m|
| Distance:||15 mi / 24.1 km|
| Route:||SE firebreak|
| End Trailhead:||Salt Log Gap 3200 ft / 975 m|
| Time:||7 Hours |
|GPS Data for Ascent/Trip|
GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks: climbed and unclimbed by Powen Ru
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.
Download this GPS track as a GPX file
This page has been served 79 times since 2005-01-15.