Ascent of Mount Harrington on 2020-08-08
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Saturday, August 8, 2020|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||11009 ft / 3355 m|
Ascent Trip Report- Comb Creek and Lewis Creek dry crossing.
- bushwhacking on the early section of unmaintained Grizzly Lake Trail; then I found a series of cairns built by earlier climbers. I added a rock to each of then. I also added some new ones.
- last reliable water: Grizzly Creek East Fork.
- left the trail, going for ridge, engineering my way to the upstream of Grizzly Lake.
- Reaching the ridge proves to be the crux for me, attempted two chute ended up with class 4 or higher before locating the right one, nothing higher than class 3.
- using backdoor approach (class 2 variation in SummitPost), found a class 3 chute to get close to the summit, then all class 2.
- on descent, I found better boulder hopping path, but occasionally trapped by bushes.
- near Peak 8030, found a gully, then a dry marsh to get back to Frypan Meadow directly.
- Headlamp on at last mile.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||7813 ft / 2380 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||7813 ft / 2380 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||19.5 mi / 31.4 km|
| Grade/Class:||Class 2s3.1|
| Quality:||8 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Maintained Trail, Unmaintained Trail, Open Country, Bushwhack, Stream Ford, Scramble, Exposed Scramble|
| Gear Used:||Headlamp, Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Hot, Calm, Partly Cloudy|
| Gain on way in:||7220 ft / 2200 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 6466 ft / 1971 m; Extra: 754 ft / 229m|
| Loss on way in:||754 ft / 229 m|
| Distance:||10.5 mi / 16.9 km|
| Route:||N ridge|
| Start Trailhead:||Lewis Creek TH 4543 ft / 1384 m|
| Time:||10 Hours 10 Minutes|
| Loss on way out:||7059 ft / 2151 m|
| Loss Breakdown:||Net: 6466 ft / 1971 m; Extra: 593 ft / 180m|
| Gain on way out:||593 ft / 180 m|
| Distance:||9 mi / 14.5 km|
| Route:||N ridge|
| End Trailhead:||Lewis Creek TH 4543 ft / 1384 m|
| Time:||4 Hours 30 Minutes|
|GPS Data for Ascent/Trip|
GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks: climbed and unclimbed by Powen Ru
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.
Download this GPS track as a GPX file
This page has been served 33 times since 2005-01-15.