Ascent of Mount Gabb on 2020-07-25
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Saturday, July 25, 2020|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||13741 ft / 4188 m|
Ascent Trip Report- road hike passing the gate of Pine Creek Pack Station.
- Maintained trail before Honeymoon Lake.
- approach via SE shore is nontrivial, mostly boulder hopping, some class 2.
- Unmaintained trail / open country from Honeymoon Lake to Italy Pass, then Italy Lake.
- snow on ground due to snow shower / hail storm a day before.
- ascent (4h) via SW ridge, not difficult but very tedious, used some easy class 3 moves to avoid walk-around, but occasionally got forced out of ridge by fridge size boulders.
- descent (2h30) via a chute next to the steep S ridge
- headlamp on once I passed the dry land between Toe Lake and Italy Lake.
- bivy under a rock shelter at south shore.
- descent stats include Hilgard next day.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||12085 ft / 3683 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||12085 ft / 3682 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||30.2 mi / 48.6 km|
| Grade/Class:||Class 2s3|
| Quality:||8 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Road Hike, Maintained Trail, Unmaintained Trail, Open Country, Stream Ford, Snow on Ground, Scramble, Exposed Scramble|
| Gear Used:||Headlamp, Ski Poles, Bivouac|
| Weather:||Pleasant, Breezy, Overcast|
| Gain on way in:||8003 ft / 2439 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 6341 ft / 1933 m; Extra: 1662 ft / 506m|
| Loss on way in:||1662 ft / 506 m|
| Distance:||13.5 mi / 21.7 km|
| Route:||SW ridge|
| Start Trailhead:||Pine Creek TH 7400 ft / 2255 m|
| Time:||12 Hours 47 Minutes|
| Loss on way out:||10423 ft / 3176 m|
| Loss Breakdown:||Net: 6341 ft / 1933 m; Extra: 4082 ft / 1244m|
| Gain on way out:||4082 ft / 1244 m|
| Distance:||16.7 mi / 26.9 km|
| Route:||S chute|
| End Trailhead:||Pine Creek TH 7400 ft / 2255 m|
| Time:||18 Hours 14 Minutes|
|GPS Data for Ascent/Trip|
GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks: climbed and unclimbed by Powen Ru
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.
Download this GPS track as a GPX file
This page has been served 154 times since 2005-01-15.