Ascent of Big Butt on 2020-03-28
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Saturday, March 28, 2020|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||3451 ft / 1051 m|
Ascent Trip Report- follow Sycamore Valley Drive (Rt627) ending at the drive way of a private house.
- the nice owner let me park next to his tractor at the entrance of the abandoned forest road.
- a lot of down trees along the way, eventually merging with Mountain Myst Way at 2040.
- at 2440, I followed an abandoned (obviously unmaintained) trail (Global topo) that bypasses Hulls Gap.
- the 5-piece lookout remnants can be seen from the road, but the true summit should be somewhere along the rock rim.
- I spent effort to locate BM/RMs indicated by Peakbagger App, but I found none. If you find any, please photo and post it on the peak page.
- winter ascent is possible.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||1947 ft / 592 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||1947 ft / 592 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||6.1 mi / 9.8 km|
| Quality:||2 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Road Hike, Unmaintained Trail, Bushwhack|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Hot, Calm, Clear|
| Gain on way in:||1788 ft / 544 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 1611 ft / 491 m; Extra: 177 ft / 53m|
| Loss on way in:||177 ft / 53 m|
| Distance:||3.4 mi / 5.5 km|
| Route:||Forest 4WD|
| Start Trailhead:||End of Rt627 1840 ft / 560 m|
| Time:||1 Hours 44 Minutes|
| Loss on way out:||1770 ft / 539 m|
| Loss Breakdown:||Net: 1611 ft / 491 m; Extra: 159 ft / 48m|
| Gain on way out:||159 ft / 48 m|
| Distance:||2.7 mi / 4.3 km|
| Route:||NW slope|
| End Trailhead:||End of 627 1840 ft / 560 m|
| Time:||1 Hours 16 Minutes|
|GPS Data for Ascent/Trip|
GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks: climbed and unclimbed by Powen Ru
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.
Download this GPS track as a GPX file
This page has been served 37 times since 2005-01-15.