Ascent of Mill Mountain on 2020-03-21
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
|Date:||Saturday, March 21, 2020|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Location:||USA-Virginia/West Virginia|
| Elevation:||3293 ft / 1003 m|
Ascent Trip Report- planned to reach Stony Creek TH as James Barlow did, but Johnstown Rd (FS-92) was closed, both ends (requiring hiking on road 4.4mi from S or 3.6mi from SW).
- Rt675 is will paved, Wolf Gap has good parking and facilities.
- met two groups of young hikers coming down, may have climbed up early today for sunrise.
- they seemed not to care about social distance rules enforced nationwide.
- side trip to Big Schloss, the bridge being literally unnecessary for easy class-2 ledges.
- thought about go straight class-3 down climb toward NE, but retraced back to a cave shelter instead,
- found an easy shortcut through a gully to get back on Mill Mtn Trail, light bushwhacking along the way.
- side trip to 2842 as I saw a sign "Overlook"; Sandstone Spring had good flow.
- left the trail near summit, reasonable bushwhack to find the BM, not on HP, but close enough to the multi-stump tree.
- met a jeep driven by a forest ranger along Tuscacora Trail, then a thru-hiker seeking away from coronavirus turmoil.
- Sugar Knob Camp cabin looked good, so did the Spring.
- Johnstown Rd (FS-92) was actually good for any passenger car, no reason to close, but I had to travel on foot.
- the connector trail at 1804 was abandoned, overgrown at places, some bushwhacking effort required.
- following a "stone wall" (natural or artifact?) for a long section.
- road hike Rt675 to get back to Wolf Gap.
- winter ascent is possible.
Benchmark with "MILL", in 1933. Some county highpointers did not find it. It is not far from the true high point multi-stump tree (2020-03-21). Photo by Powen Ru.
Click here for larger-size photo.
|Summary Total Data|
| Total Elevation Gain:||2891 ft / 880 m|
| Total Elevation Loss:||2891 ft / 880 m|
| Round-Trip Distance:||14.1 mi / 22.7 km|
| Quality:||5 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Road Hike, Maintained Trail, Unmaintained Trail, Bushwhack, Stream Ford, Scramble|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Cool, Calm, Partly Cloudy|
| Gain on way in:||1783 ft / 543 m|
| Gain Breakdown:||Net: 1053 ft / 321 m; Extra: 730 ft / 222m|
| Loss on way in:||730 ft / 222 m|
| Distance:||5.8 mi / 9.3 km|
| Route:||SW ridge|
| Start Trailhead:||Wolf Gap 2240 ft / 682 m|
| Time:||2 Hours 44 Minutes|
| Loss on way out:||2161 ft / 658 m|
| Loss Breakdown:||Net: 1053 ft / 321 m; Extra: 1108 ft / 337m|
| Gain on way out:||1108 ft / 337 m|
| Distance:||8.3 mi / 13.4 km|
| Route:||E slope|
| End Trailhead:||Wolf Gap 2240 ft / 682 m|
| Time:||3 Hours |
|GPS Data for Ascent/Trip|
GPS Waypoints - Hover or click to see name and lat/long
Peaks: climbed and unclimbed by Powen Ru
Click Here for a Full Screen Map
Note: GPS Tracks may not be accurate, and may not show the best route. Do not follow this route blindly. Conditions change frequently. Use of a GPS unit in the outdoors, even with a pre-loaded track, is no substitute for experience and good judgment. Peakbagger.com accepts NO responsibility or liability from use of this data.
Download this GPS track as a GPX file
This page has been served 131 times since 2005-01-15.