Europe High Points - Comprehensive List
Front Runners List: Click here to see list completion progress by climbers that log their climbs using Peakbagger.com.
Compare Climbers: Click here to compare ascents of up to 5 climbers working on this list.
There is no truly satisfactory way to construct a list of European country high points. There are issues with the definition of the European continent, with which offshore islands are included or not, and with what constitutes a country or dependency. There are other flavors of this list on the site, but this one is included as a comprehensive "grab bag" of all peaks that could be considered country high points by most reasonable criteria.
This list starts out with the formally defined list of Nation and Dependency high points that are geographically located in Europe. To this are added the following:
- The actual highest points of Spain and Portugal, on islands out in the Atlantic.
- The mainland high points of Spain and Portugal, too.
- The highpoints of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, which although not independent countries, are often thought of that way and are often climbed as part of a European high point quest.
- The highest point in Turkey, and the higest point in the European section on Turkey.
- Yding Skovhøj in Denmark, which is a few centimeters higher than Møllehøj but is officially disqualified due to its status as an ancient burial mound.
- The entire Caucasus region high points.
- For Italy, both Mont Blanc, and the minor sub-peak of Mont Blanc de Courmayeur, which the French (not the Italians) feel is the highest point on their common border.
Even though many people would find this list to be too extensive, I don't think anyone would doubt your claim to have finished the Europe High Points if you climbed all these peaks!
Map Showing Location of Peaks
= Peaks climbed by Bob Martin = Unclimbed peaksClick on a peak to see its name and a clickable link.
This page has been served 191571 times since 2004-11-01.
Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright © 1987-2015 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.