Ascent of Fawn Peak on 2013-05-19
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
Only Party on Mountain
|Date:||Sunday, May 19, 2013|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Motorized Transport to Trailhead:||Car|
| Elevation:||6577 ft / 2004 m|
Ascent Trip ReportThis is a supplemental trip report for Eric Noel's report from nearly 2-1/2 weeks earlier than my trip.
1) Road 100 is signed and called "W. Fawn Creek Road" for the first mile, in the residential area. It officially switches to only "Road 100" from that point northward.
2) From the intersection of W. Fawn Creek Road (Road 100) and Goat Creek Road, it is three miles to the the Road 300 turnoff. Road 100 is probably drivable for any street-legal vehicles.
3) Road 300 is another story. Although it can be driven by a passenger vehicle and most of the road is OK, I counted five bumps/drainages crossing the road at various locations which nearly grounded-out my car. In fact, the bottom of my car slightly scraped dirt for two of those five sections. It is only 1.5 miles (and 800' elevation gain) from the Road 300/Road 100 intersection. Use your best judgement. The trip can be the standard 4.5-5.0 miles roundtrip with approximately 2500' of gain, or 8.0 miles roundtrip with approximately 3300' of gain (including three miles roundtrip of road-walking) from the Road 300/Road 100 intersection. Both options are very doable for this peak.
4) The route is as Eric described it. I was surprised how straightforward this route was, but the fantastic views really make this peak worth a visit. In fact, of peaks which I have hiked/climbed without walking on any official trail or road, Fawn Peak is now one of my all-time favorites. The views of nearby Goat Peak, the Gardners, Silver Star, and many more high-elevation mountains make this a "must visit" peak, IMO.
5) The south ridge of Fawn Peak is not linear; it bends a couple of times. Occasionally, the trees will block views of the ridgeline, so keeping a GPS track log (or waypoints) might help some people stay on course. The ridgetop never becomes a "knife-edge" and is steep in some areas (with a 4600'-4900' slope being the steepest section). The lowest-point saddle between the 5986' hill and Fawn Peak is very defined; it makes a sudden trenchlike dip.
6) The groundcover is mostly comprised of grasses, weeds, wildflowers, dirt, and small rocks. If you encounter large bushes to push through, then you are definitely not on the south ridge.
7) The summit is an open area with 360-Degree views. Somebody in the past had made a large pile of rocks at the top. Many ladybugs were crawling on that rockpile. I did not see any summit register.
8) In less than 2-1/2 weeks, there was significantly less snow than what Eric and Ken experienced. A few small patches were on the 5986' hill and a few small patches were near the Fawn Peak summit, but each snowpatch was insignificant and easily avoidable.
9) This peak is a walk-up, never requiring the use of hands. However, I think that bringing trekking poles is very helpful on the south ridge approach.
10) Save this peak for a sunny day. I went in mid-morning during mid-May, and I was *roasting* in the sunshine. But the straightforward approach and views are worth a little extra warmth.
|Summary Total Data|
| Elevation Gain:||2547 ft / 775 m|
| Extra Gain:||100 ft / 30 m|
| Distance:||4.6 mi / 7.4 km|
| Route:||Connecting Ridgelines From South|
| Trailhead:||High Saddle Along Road 300 4230 ft / 1289 m|
| Quality:||5 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Open Country|
| Gear Used:||Ski Poles|
| Weather:||Hot, Calm, Clear|
| Time Up:||0 Days 1 Hours 40 Minutes|
| Time Down:||0 Days 1 Hours 15 Minutes|
This page has been served 356 times since 2005-01-15.
Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright Â© 1987-2015 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.
Watch how to prevent shock and fell replica handbags down? You can purchase waterproof shockproof watches, this replica watches type ofanti-collision and fall watch wrestling louis vuitton replica limits higher than the replica watches ordinary watch, yet they are not replica handbags small knock a small touch to replica watches uk put the watch broke! Daily life, we must replica watches develop good habits love watches. When off rolex replica watch, pay attention to omega replica gently put to a safe location, must not arbitrarily throw on louis vuitton replica the table, it is easy to cause damage to replica watches the watch exterior and interior parts!Shock and fell down to hermes replica watch what effect? A great impact! Likely impact and fell louis vuitton replica back down the watch to be scrapped, to try to prevent this breitling replica from happening omega replica !