Ascent of Strawberry Peak on 2004-06-26
|Date:||Saturday, June 26, 2004|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Elevation:||6153 ft / 1875 m|
Ascent Trip ReportThe name is derived from Strawberry Creek which originates near here and where wild strawberries could be found at one time. The was also a Strawberry Sawmill built by area pioneer William Van Slyke in about 1875. (Quirarte) The lookout tower was built by CCC crews in 1933. This peak was on the Hundred Peaks List, but it was removed after paved roads and other development made access too easy.
In the San Bernardino National Forest and open to public access. The road may be closed in winter months. The lookout tower is manned by volunteers in the summer season and visitors are welcome. The Arrowhead Ranger District office is at 28104 Hwy. 18, Skyforest, CA 92378 Phone: (909) 337-2444.
In San Bernardino take highway 18 north into the mountains and stay on it heading east to Rimforest. At the east end of the stores in the small community of Rimforest turn left (north) on Bear Springs Road. Follow this road as it turns steeply up through homes and at 0.85 miles turn left on an unsigned paved road to the lookout. At 1.2 miles there is a gate and if it is open continue on another 0.3 mile to the parking area at the top next to the fire lookout. 6/95 RLC
This page has been served 118 times since 2005-01-15.
Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright © 1987-2014 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.