Ascent of Stac Leibhinis on 2009-09-14
|Other People:||Solo Ascent|
|Date:||Monday, September 14, 2009|
|Ascent Type:||Successful Summit Attained|
| Elevation:||63 m / 207 ft|
Ascent Trip ReportAfter our morning ascent of Cnoc Glas (Soay) we headed out to Stac Levenish on the Seaharris boat Enchanted Isle. Ian Teasdale and I had our eye on this sea stack - only 63m high and not particularly steep but out on its own, a familiar landmark on the Kilda approach and therefore alluring.
The swell had risen to about 3-4ft and waves were starting to wash over the ideal landing landing point on the slabby South point. After circumnavigating the stac, we decided to try a spot 100m or so NE of the S point. In the event, Ian T decided to stay aboard and belay me in case I fell in (this seemed quite likely!). I was wearing my Walsh PB hillrunning shoes (renowned for their grip on wet rock) and initially put a pair of big woollen socks over them to increase friction on the slippery slabs. However these provided no purchase on the GRP surface of the boat for pushing off! So I took off the outer socks and jumped ashore in the Walshes. This worked OK, but I had to get out of a tricky little wet slabby corner. Managing to scramble up on the R side, I then unroped and easily traversed L (SW) on good dry rock until above the S point, headed up nice easy slabs then E along the grassy flowery ridge to the summit. Excellent! I soon headed back down (the swell wasn't getting any better), reversing the upward route with occasional directions from the others back in the boat. I was soon back at the landing spot where Seumas and Ian were waiting in the tender to ferry me back to the Enchanted Isle. I'm told there was some difficulty getting back onto the tender - I remember nothing about it!). We headed back to Hirta to camp for a second night before returning to Harris.
Access / restrictions / timing
This was an unplanned visit but as far as I know there are no specific restrictions. Best visited when the swell is less than 3 feet and a landing can be made onto the south point, but feasible in a 4 foot swell if you don't mind getting a bit wet and a little hardish scrambling at the start (and can talk your boatman into it!). Good sea conditions are most likely to be found during April through September.
|Summary Total Data|
| Elevation Gain:||63 m / 207 ft|
| Distance:||0.4 km / 0.2 mi|
| Trailhead:||0 m / 0 ft|
| Grade/Class:||YDS 3|
| Quality:||10 (on a subjective 1-10 scale)|
| Route Conditions:||Scramble|
| Weather:||Pleasant, Breezy, Partly Cloudy|
| Time Up:||15 Minutes|
| Time Down:||5 Minutes|
This page has been served 328 times since 2005-01-15.
Questions/Comments/Corrections? See the Contact Page
Copyright © 1987-2015 by Peakbagger.com. All Rights Reserved.